History of Ballybofey and Stranorlar Golf Club

Ballybofey & Stranorlar golf club was founded on January 22nd 1957, under it’s first president Mr W.H Raitt and Mr John Joe Kennedy as founder Captain. Initially the course was nine hole and was opened for play in June 1958. In the absence of a clubhouse the first presentations were made from the back of a tractor! An old wooden and corrugated iron pavillion was soon bought from a local cricket club and proved to be a great success in the formative years of the club with many a lively night and local story told; a friendly, hospitable community atmosphere that still thrives today.

Download 5oth Anniversary Booklet (PDF)


A nine hole layout was never going to be enough for such a hard working committee though and, greatly helped by a very successful run of Friday night bingo in the Butt Hall, the club finally purchased the land for a second nine holes which were opened for play in 1978. The following years brought about vast improvements in all aspects of the club with the purchase of essential machinery and employment of experienced workers.

The club owes a great deal to the various green convenors and green keepers over the years. The course is now one of the best parkland courses in the country and is considered a very enjoyable place to play.

The club continued to grow and in 1994 it was decided by the members to build a new clubhouse to give more space and give a first floor view over parts of the course. It was designed by local architects, Paddy and Tony Carr. The impressive clubhouse was officially opened in 1996 by Mr Eamonn Curran, GUI president.

Club and Member Success

Over the years the club has been successful in various competitions throughout Ireland. The club has also produced its fair share of fine golfers both male and female over the years notably Internationals Mr Enda McMenamin and Ms Darragh McGowan, both also earned many inter provincial caps representing Ulster and Connacht respectively. The club also operates a thriving youth development programme and our young golfers are now representing the club very well in the Fred Daly and other competitions. It should be noted that arising from the youth development at the club James McNulty was part of the Ulster Boys team in 1999 and we now have provided two fully qualified PGA professionals in Mr Eamonn O’ Flanagan and Ms Joanne O’Haire.

Over the years there have been some very fine scorecards. The 18 hole record of 63 has been set by Mr Enda McMenamin and has been equalled in recent times by Mr Derek McNeill. The ladies course record is held by Ms Darragh McGowan who set a record of 66 in the Lady Captains prize competition of 2006.

Notable Prizes & Awards

Team golf has very strong in Ballybofey and Stranorlar GC. The club Mixed Foursomes Team won All Ireland Title in 1994 along with Ulster titles in 1993 and 1994 and were Ulster Finalists on 4 further occasions including 2011 where City of Derry GC beat Tony O’Mears’s team in Letterkenny GC on their way to all Ireland success.

B&S were Ulster Pierce Purcell winners in 1980 and 1985 and All Ireladn winners of the Jimmy Carrol Trophy in 2006.

The ladies were Ulster Champions in the Ulster Bank Four Ball in 1997, the Ulster Inter Team Winners in 2002, Huzzar Foursomes Ulster champions in 1988 and also the Ulster winners of the Menolly Homes 2005 and 2006.

The club’s youth team won the prestigious Ulster Coca Cola Youth Tournament at Donaghadee Golf Club in 2001…….

Founding member and course architect Mr. P.C. Carr wrote and produced a booklet charting the club’s journey from its formation in 1957 to 2007 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the club. The booklet is available by following this link.

The Roll of Honour section of this website charts all the succeses of B&S GC along with all past Presidents, Captains and Lady Captains along with the winners of the Captain’s Prizes down through the years.